Northeastern University, Boston, MA
Targeted renovations in an occupied building provide state-of-the-art labs and flexibility for the future.
The Mugar Life Sciences Building is one of the first science buildings built on the Northeastern University campus. It is occupied by biology and chemistry labs, miscellaneous support spaces, and office spaces for the College of Science, Bouvé College of Health Sciences, College of Engineering, the Division of Animal Laboratory and Medicine, and provost-managed core facilities. The four-story, 136,000 SF Mugar building was built in 1941, with two additions constructed in 1965 (South and East Wings) and 1973 (the Peabody Addition) and numerous MEP/FP upgrades and other renovations having taken place in the intervening years.
Goody Clancy was commissioned to evaluate and design approximately 7,200 square feet of space serving four Principal Investigators on the third and fourth floors of the building. The complete gut renovation has resulted in a mix of wet and dry labs, lab-support spaces, and write-up spaces for researchers in the fields of biology, biochemistry, and bioengineering. Systems and infrastructure elements were selectively replaced and tied into, providing HVAC, plumbing, and electrical services to lab work benches, equipment benches, and write-up desks.