Trinity Church in the City of Boston
Trinity Church, a National Historic Landmark and one of Boston’s most treasured buildings, was restored and expanded to conserve the building and improve its functionality.
Tripartite stewardship: community, building, and environment
Originally designed by H.H. Richardson in 1877, Trinity Church is regarded as one of the most significant buildings in American architecture. In a true partnership forged over two decades of collaboration with the church, Goody Clancy orchestrated a multi-phase renewal that preserved the structure’s architectural integrity, dramatically improved the quality and quantity of its gathering spaces, and enhanced the building’s accessibility and energy performance.
This decades-long renewal has truly been a community collaboration. The ideas of nearly 100 different interest groups–including historians and international conservation experts–helped inform our work and build widespread consensus.
Digging Deep for Community Spaces
Of stormwater is managed on site and distributed to maintain ground water levels essential to the structural integrity of the wood pilings
Deep wells were dug into the bedrock to fuel a new geothermal energy system that heats and cools nearly 30,000 SF of space
For more information about this project:
Share this project:
Julie L. Sloan
Lawrence Architectural Plan
Maurice A. Reidy Engineers
The Thompson & Lichtner