Division of Capital Asset Management, Boston, MA
A public icon’s first major exterior restoration renews a glowing beacon
Goody Clancy’s comprehensive structural and cosmetic exterior restoration of this 200-year-old building and National Historic Landmark fused distinctive period designs with our team’s modern expertise. The exterior restoration was the first comprehensive restoration of the building since the central building, designed by Bulfinch, was completed in 1798. Visitors, neighborhood residents, and building occupants who remained present throughout the restoration now delight in the intricacies of its restored details and the glow of its re-gilded dome.
We completed investigative and design services, a systematic inspection, and an inventory of repairs and conservation for the four portions of the complex: Charles Bulfinch’s original 1798 building; Charles Brigham’s and John Spofford’s 1898 Brigham Annex; and Chapman, Andrews, and Sturgis’ 1917 marble wings. The building remained fully occupied during the project.
- We restored or replaced original architectural details. This included rebuilding deteriorated marble balustrades and cornice elements, replacing column capitals on the Bulfinch façade, and cleaning, repairing, and repointing the marble and brick facades. We replaced and restored more than 1,000 windows.
- We rebuilt the Bulfinch steps and porch, the Brigham Annex porch and steps on Ashburton Park, and the areaway retaining walls along Hancock Street. We also rebuilt the south plaza.
- We regilded the Bulfinch Building dome and performed extensive repairs to its cupola.
- Careful removal of hazardous materials was a priority throughout the project.
Goody Clancy is currently completing a renovation study for two major indoor spaces: the House Chamber, where the legislators convene, and the Gardner Auditorium, where public meetings and hearings are held.