University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
Revitalizing an academic building and converting a long-ignored courtyard into an asset
Designed by Eggers and Higgins Architects and constructed in 1950, New Cabell Hall is situated at the end of Thomas Jefferson’s Academical Village on axis with the Rotunda and is considered a contributing building to the historic campus. This comprehensive restoration will return the building to its original intent and house the modern language departments, media studies, graduate studies, and the Dean of Arts and Sciences. Our work incorporates daylighting strategies and strong connections to the exterior courtyard, which we redesigned to become a building amenity.
The main classroom and office building for Arts and Sciences, New Cabell Hall is a place through which thousands of students pass through in any given day. We paid particular attention to rejuvenating the corridors and public areas.
- The renovation was completed in phases while the building was partially occupied.
- Sustainable design features include a new mechanical system and improved thermal comfort.
- Daylighting has been expanded through increased use of interior glazing.
- Interior finishes of glass, wood, and plaster add light reflectivity, ease of cleaning, and acoustical privacy.
- A new cafe has been added, opening onto the courtyard, to provide added social amenity.