University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH
A university’s signature building is restored to its original grandeur
Constructed in 1892, Thompson Hall was the first building on campus. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1996, it serves as a symbol of the university itself. Goody Clancy’s exterior restoration and structural stabilization have returned this campus icon to its original understated glory.
Because decades of weathering harsh New England winters caused the building to fall into an advanced state of disrepair, we thoroughly evaluated the building using an aerial lift and designed a plan that focused first on stabilization, and then on restoration.
Our comprehensive exterior restoration included full slate roof and flashing replacement, 100% masonry repointing, and window sash replacement. We also designed an awning over a side entrance door in keeping with the building’s Romanesque revival style.
- We performed life-cycle analysis on roofing material (new vs. reuse of slate shingles) and windows (restoration vs. replacement; wood vs. aluminum or PVC) to assist university decision-making.
- To maintain the authenticity of the original design, we located slate from the same geological belt as the original stone and painstakingly matched all new exterior detailing with the old.
- We carefully studied historic photographs to create an interpretation of the original windows. Glass types and colors are based on those used in decorative American windows of the 1890s. We worked with Julie L. Sloan, a stained glass consultant, to recreate original windows that had been removed years earlier.
- All visible details match the existing, with modifications made to the flashing and termination details to improve their performance over time.
- All construction conforms to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
- The building remained continuously occupied by the university president and administrative staff throughout the restoration.