Trinity Church in the City of Boston, Boston, MA
Tripartite stewardship: community, building, environment
Trinity Church, a National Historic Landmark designed by H.H. Richardson and one of Boston’s most recognizable and beloved buildings since its dedication in 1877, was revitalized over a five-year, multiphase partial restoration and expansion designed and directed by Goody Clancy. The successful renewal, which incorporated a series of sustainable strategies, will serve current and future generations while demonstrating the vital role and limitless potential that historic buildings and institutions have in our cities.
This multi-phased project focused on:
- Prioritizing the conservation and restoration of exterior and interior elements, including stained glass, decorative paint, carved sandstone statuary and details, tile and slate roofs, and interior furniture.
- Integrating life-safety solutions for egress, emergency lighting, and fire detection that preserved the historic elements of the building and site.
- Increasing gathering space by transforming the former basement crawlspace into the Undercroft, a series of new spaces that includes a large gathering area, lecture and forum spaces, meeting rooms, and classroom facilities.
- Accommodating the increased mechanical loads through upgraded and expanded high-efficiency mechanical systems that rely on a new geo-exchange system, driven 1,500 feet into the earth next to the building.