Digging Deep: Finding fellowship underground at Trinity Church in Boston
Trinity Church has been the beating heart of Boston’s Back Bay since its dedication in 1877. The congregation wanted to renew this treasured icon for the next century—giving new life to its role as a place for communal gathering and fellowship.
Important goals included:
- Create a place to gather
- Provide a church that works
- Serve today’s ministries
Working closely with the client and construction manager—as well as federal, state and city landmark commissions, and community groups—Goody Clancy preservationists and architects performed a multi-dimensional renewal of this H.H. Richardson landmark. Phased over several years, our work addressed a range of prioritized issues, creating a Trinity Church ready to meet the needs of its congregation and community for the next century.
Named one of the Best New Spaces in Boston, the Undercroft designed by Goody Clancy has been used by more than 800 community groups.
Profiled in PBS’ Ten Buildings that Changed America:
Crawl space into gathering space
We excavated the unused space below the Sanctuary to create more than 13,000 square feet of meeting, classroom, and storage space. The new “Undercroft” provides a flexible venue for gatherings, lectures, meetings, and more.
Creating flexible, new connections
The Undercroft can accommodate groups of all sizes. “Floating” seating around the perimeter is ideal for small interactions, celebrations, or just relaxing, enhancing the social framework of the parish.
Circulation that works
Based on a careful evaluation of flow between the Sanctuary and Parish House, we made subtle changes that dramatically improved circulation, while retaining historic features.